A New Medical Threat: Mold Toxicity

A New Medical Threat: Mold Toxicity

People who suffer from regular respiratory disorders often think they have all of their bases covered, but could still be experiencing consistent symptoms. Individuals with asthma, allergies, and reactive airway can be prone to coughing, sneezing, sore throat, and other lung and respiratory system symptoms that indicate exposure to a harmful substance. One of the greatest causes of these respiratory problems is none other than exposure to mold at home and in the workplace.

Toxic mold exposure is when someone is regularly endangered by breathing in the hazardous spores produced by mold and mildew. Mold enjoys living in damp, dark, warm climates and has been found in some capacity in almost every building of the United States, especially in shared areas like bathrooms and laundry rooms. When trapped indoors, mold spores become airborne and are breathed in by people like you and your loved ones, contributing to a rise in respiratory distress.

Here, My Pure MD wants to discuss with you the signs and symptoms of toxic mold exposure and what you can do to start feeling better within your own home and work environment.

How and Where Mold Grows

Life begins for mold with airborne spores that can be carried in by exterior air, pets, and even on humans. These spores live in locations that tend to be damp or humid, and enjoy heat and the dark. Bathrooms, laundry rooms, and kitchens are common sites for mold, as are water heater closets and basements.

Mold grows well in locations where it will be exposed to regular moisture, so it enjoys:

  • Carpeting
  • Walls (especially wallpaper)
  • Floor and ceiling tiles
  • Grout
  • Paper, wood, and similar fiber products

Symptoms of Mold Toxicity

If you suspect there might be mold in your residence or workplace that is causing an illness, it’s important to be able to identify the symptoms. Individuals with preexisting respiratory disorders are more likely to experience discomfort and develop breathing problems, so it’s necessary to recognize the signs. Is it a regular bout of allergies, or is it a reaction to toxic mold?

Someone who is having an allergic reaction to mold will experience the following symptoms:

  • Coughing
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Irritated rash
  • Wheezing and trouble breathing
  • Itchy, irritated eyes

Someone who has a more serious reaction can also have the following:

  • Fatigue or lethargy
  • Sinus inflammation and infection
  • Frequent headaches
  • Trouble breathing while in the environment
  • Persistent cough
  • Rash all over the body

These symptoms occur during early exposure to the mold, but it is also possible to experience more severe reactions over time. If you have been living or working in a mold-filled environment for several days or weeks, then the following can occur:

  • Lightheadedness and difficulty concentrating
  • Muscle cramps and bloating
  • Diarrhea
  • Hair loss
  • Increased thirst and weight gain
  • Light sensitivity and irritated eyes
  • Poor memory and general confusion
  • Numbness and tingling in the extremities
  • Hair loss
  • Joint pain

People can even experience an increase in anxiety and depression.

Treatment

When someone experiences mold toxicity, they need to remove themselves from the infected environment immediately and seek medical attention. Some physicians and professionals, like the ones at My Pure MD, have educated themselves on this toxicity and can identify the symptoms even if the individual does not realize they have been exposed.

There are numerous treatments that can be done in a doctor’s office and at home to improve your overall health and wellness. The most important will be locating and killing the mold, which can be done by a professional team while you are receiving treatment.

The most frequent procedure will be testing various parts of your body for the growth of mold, fungus, and bacteria. Individuals who have been exposed to mold for long periods of time often experience conditions like yeast infections, bronchitis, respiratory infections, oral thrush, digestive issues, and even infections in the kidneys, stomach, lungs, ears, and eyes.

If you test positive for some form of foreign growth, then a doctor will typically prescribe antibiotics and might ask you stay in the hospital overnight to check on your health. Infections of the internal organs can be dangerous, so mold toxicity needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

October 1, 2019