No one likes to have mold in their homes and it can send home owners in the panic mode. The summer and humidity pave the way for mold to enter our homes. But what exactly is mold and is it responsible for all the unexplained summer illness? Let’s find out.
Molds are basically fungal growths that occur naturally and you can find them anywhere where oxygen and moisture are present. However, they are more commonly found in warmer climates or decaying matter as they can feed on them and accelerate their growth explains the MD in Houston, TX.
It has been observed that mold growth is fast indoors as compared to the outdoors. There are hundreds of mold species. While some of them are not dangerous, others can make you fall sick. We spend time looking for ways to limit our exposure to various toxins but we never really consider mycotoxins which are produced by microfungi i.e. mold. It can have adverse effect on the functioning of our body and can lead to chronic symptoms. The mold can lead to a wide array of health issues. In most people, mold can cause respiratory issues, allergies, a compromised immune system, and infections.
Diagnosing the mold-related illness can be complicated due to limited testing technology. Urine tests, shifts in inflammation, and changes in hormones can help in diagnosing mold toxicity, says the MD near you.
It is also to be known that certain people can be more vulnerable to mold toxicity than others. Genetics, nutritional deficiencies, environmental toxins, age, high levels of stress, can all make you vulnerable to getting mold toxicity. People with poor immunity power are more vulnerable to toxicity.
If there are wet spots on your ceiling, at the baseboards, or at the floor, it is a sign that you have a leaky pipe or roof. Mold can grow behind the walls and mix with the air through the ducts or pipes. You can hire a plumber for identifying the weak spots or possible leaks for preventing mold growth.
Many air conditioners, especially the window ACs are vulnerable to mold growth. The idea is to select a unit which comes with humidity control so that you can prevent moisture build-up. It is also recommended to replace the filters in every three months. Experts say that, your home must always have less than 60% humidity for preventing the mold production.
There are certain rooms in our home which create excess humidity and heat such as bathrooms, kitchen, and laundry rooms. These rooms need proper ventilation so that lingering of moisture can be prevented.
You need to keep your home as dry as possible. Water in the basement after heavy rainfall, leaky pipes, or even a spill on the carpet should be dried within 24 to 48 hours. Avoid leaving wet items around the house and make sure that you dry the floor and walls.
Some people can recover quite fast i.e. within weeks after removing the source of mold toxins and just by living in a cleaner environment. On the other hand, some people may take over a year for recovery, depending on the severity.