Picture this: You’ve moved back to your childhood home to live out the pandemic. Within minutes of arriving, you begin to feel stuffy. Incessant sneezes come on, accompanied with an itchy throat and red, irritated eyes. Sure, you have a history of dust allergies but hang on, there is no dust in sight! All surfaces in the house have been wiped clean, upholstery changed and every corner vacuumed to perfection. Then, what on earth is causing you to react this way?
The answer often lies above eye level – on the corners of the walls.
Mold is a type of fungus that silently creeps into buildings where there is water damage or high humidity levels. Areas like bathrooms, basements or attics are often prone to mold growth. It resides in these areas long before it begins to actually show up as dark patches or spores. Being exposed to moldy environments can either cause severe health issues or probably none at all, depending on individual genetic tendencies and sensitivities. If you are someone who is sensitive to mold, then you will experience symptoms like a stuffy nose, wheezing, red eyes, nausea or itchy skin. Most people with asthma have more severe reactions such as fever or shortness of breath.
Different types of molds have different effects on our health. Common household molds such as Aspergillus, Penicillium, or Stachybortyschartarum contain mycotoxins. Research has shown that fungal mycotoxins have adverse reactions on our health by interrupting the immune system, nervous system, as well as hormone and energy metabolism.
Clinical studies show that mycotoxins can also boost inflammation in the body. Increased inflammation is often the reason for several autoimmune as well as lifestyle disorders.
Ingesting mycotoxins through food can affect the intestinal villi and create hormonal imbalances. Your gut microbiome can also be at risk of being disturbed.
Another research discovered that people who have been exposed to mold over time had an impaired neurological function in terms of grip strength, reaction times, memory and vision.
Black mold, which is the most common type of household mold, often appears in damp areas and has a dark, spore-like appearance. You can easily spot in your bathroom ceilings, around air conditioner units or in basements where any water leakage has occurred. Any organic material with inadequate ventilation such as clothing in closets and food are also popular spots for mold growth. Once you have confirmed visuals of mold in your house or office, it’s best to leave the premises immediately. Contact a professional to have it removed and also fix any leakage that triggered the growth.
With an increasing number of people getting affected with autoimmune disorders, tackling the damaging effects of mold becomes crucial to prevent further health decline. At My Pure MD, our functional medicine experts offer several impactful strategies to tackle mold-related issues through sustainable methods.
Mold allergies or toxicity often shows up without warning, and in mysterious ways. On most days, you may even shrug off the symptoms without giving them serious thought or pop allergy pills to tackle them on a short term. However, mold toxicity can trigger serious issues if left unattended. A thoughtful diagnosis from experts at My Pure MD can put you on a path to regaining your health to its optimum, without having to deal with the difficult symptoms. Take your first step to a mold-free life!Book a discovery call with us today.