Signs you may be suffering from mold toxicity

Signs you may be suffering from mold toxicity

Dec 29, 2022

You may be a deep cleaning aficionado, but chances are that you have most likely missed spotting mold in your spaces. Or have been programmed to ignore it as just something harmless that appears around the house. Whatever the case, consider this your wake-up call – mold isn’t a fun guest to have around.

Be it at the home, gym, office, hospital, classroom, or neighborhood park, mold affects the health of your whole family in mysterious and vague ways.

Inside, outside, and everywhere in between – mold spores are all around us. While indoor mold grows throughout the calendar year, outdoor mold typically occurs during winter or spring rain and reduces towards late fall. This long exposure can mean that people who are susceptible to mold allergies may suffer from frequent sinus or ear infections.

Quick Mold Facts:

  1. A type of fungus, mold occurs in humid conditions with low ventilation or water damage. It is present in these areas long before showing up as dark spores or patches.
  2. Mold can grow anywhere, any time. You can spot mold on practically any surface with some moisture present. There are different types of molds that can appear on wood, paper, furnishing, and food.
  3. Mold occurs naturally in nature where it plays an important role in breaking down foliage and other organic matter. However, if it is transferred indoors then that is considered air pollution thanks to the extensive damage it can have on human health.
  4. Possible sites of mold contamination may be underneath paint or tile, carpets, upholstery, inside air condition vents, or behind sheetrock.
  5. According to a study, infants who live in mold-ridden homes had a 3x higher chance of developing asthma by age 7.
  6. Toxicity from some types of molds is credited to the mycotoxins it releases into the atmosphere. Mycotoxins are renowned for inflammatory effects and dysregulating our immune systems.
  7. A WHO report estimated that 10-50% of indoor areas in North America possibly have dangerous levels of mold present within their premises.

Signs you may be struggling with Mold Toxicity:

Whether you are exposed to mold at home or at work, chances are that it is already affecting your health and triggering disease.

Most people suffer from a diverse range of symptoms that are seemingly independent of each other, and therefore end up in a variety of doctor’s offices. Detecting mold toxicity is a bit like putting a puzzle together and requires an experienced doctor to recognize the red flags and connect them to the real root cause of mold toxicity.

Let’s take a look at some of the most common red flags you may be experiencing:

Short-term mold exposure triggers symptoms that resemble seasonal allergies. However, if a person has some underlying respiratory health issues such as lung disease or asthma, these symptoms can take on a more severe form.

  • Irritated, itchy, and rashy skin
  • Itchy eyes
  • Coughing, wheezing, and sore throat
  • Sneezing, stuffy nose
  • Fatigue and headache
  • Difficulty breathing

Long-term mold exposure can prove to be particularly damaging, thanks to prolonged contact with mycotoxins released by certain molds. From boosting inflammation to causing hormonal imbalances, mycotoxins disrupt health in chronic and even irreversible ways.

Some signs of long-term mold exposure include:

  • Hair loss
  • Mood disorders such as anxiety, irritability, depression
  • Cognitive loss such as memory loss, lack of concentration
  • Tingling in hands or feet
  • Gut issues such as stomach pain, food insensitivities
  • Muscle pains and cramps, joint pains
  • Unexplained weight fluctuations
  • Lightheadedness, migraines
  • Recurrent fungal infections
  • Metallic taste in the mouth

Long-term exposure to mold often takes a toll on your immune system, weakening it and leaving you susceptible to further progression of disease.

Some of these health scares go beyond a few symptoms and can include:

Protection against Mold Toxicity:

Although there is no practical way to get rid of mold completely, there are some preventative measures you can take to ensure you live in a mold-free space.

  1. Fix any source of water leakage or problems in the space.
  2. Reduce humidity indoors as much as possible, by using air conditioners or dehumidifiers.
  3. Increase ventilation wherever possible. Use exhaust fans while cooking and cleaning.
  4. Add insulation to reduce condensation on cold surfaces such as windows, floors, piping, etc.
  5. Inspect foods such as coffee, nuts, grains, and dried fruit for signs of mold growth and store them in dry containers.
  6. Construct your diet around reducing inflammation caused by mold exposure. Cruciferous and dark green veggies such as cabbage or kale help offset the toxin load in your system.
  7. Spices with anti-inflammatory properties like ginger, cinnamon, and cloves can prove to be beneficial. Omega-3 fats through chia seeds, walnuts, and olive oils have also been researched and are renowned for their anti-inflammatory powers.

Be it a benign cough or a harmless-looking rash, mold toxicity is always more dangerous than it appears to be. Fixing it at a symptomatic level can only offer temporary respite, as these symptoms become recurrent and chronic in nature thanks to continuous mold exposure. To begin your first step towards understanding your symptoms and living a mold-free life, book a discovery call with us today!

December 29, 2022

Our holistic doctors serve functional, integrative, and alternative medicine to residents of the Greater Houston Market and More:

Click to listen highlighted text!